Tuesday, August 30, 2005

No Relief for Louisiana

My friend and creator, Don Sakers, has issued the following statement about Louisiana and the devastation that state has suffered from Hurricane Katrina.


As I write this, much of Louisiana -- including New Orleans -- is a disaster area. The damage done by Hurricane Katrina was devastating, refugees are in bad straits everywhere, and there is widespread looting and pillaging in the streets.

Under ordinary circumstances, I would rush to my checkbook to send off a donation to the Red Cross. I have routinely done this in the wake of every major disaster in the last few decades.

However, these are not ordinary circumstances.

In 2004, the residents of Louisiana overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment denying same-sex couples not only the right to marry, but the right to enter into any sort of civil union. Louisiana made it blindingly, abundantly clear that they did not want same-sex couples in their state. In Louisiana, gay people are second-class citizens.

Well, if Louisiana doesn't want us, it certainly doesn't want our money. Therefore, I will not be sending any relief money to Louisiana. I urge all other gay people and their friends not to send any gay-tainted dollars to this bigoted state. They have made their bed, now let them float in it.

-Don Sakers


What more can I say but "You go, girl!"

-M



The Ivory Madonna's story is told in Dance for the Ivory Madonna by Don Sakers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is 'ditto'!

I did not send gay tainted dollars to the red cross, as many others were, not for the above stated reason though. I didn't send because of the all over stupidity that was being enacted by both red cross and government run agencies. I don't support stupidity.